Nielsen released its “Asia Pacific Social Media Report” recently which described in more detail the social media and WOM trend analysis in this region.
Quick overview from Nielsen:
- China – loves celebs and attracts social networkers to blog, play with social media games and user experience is blogged to encourage write by mouth user engagement.
- Chinese users are most likely to blog negative experiences or dis-satisfaction with products.
- Twitter has grown exponentially in India with 57% sign ups in past year. Interesting given the fact that users in India connect via their mobile phone as their main hardware to the web.
- Facebook is gaining market share in India over over 50% against their incumbant; Orkut.
- Online customer reviews are influential in the Indian purchase of consumer electronics; 55% read online reviews before making purchases.
- South Korea is most socially engaged country using Naver, which has 95% of the Korean internet market
- Twitter saw 1900%! growth in the year May 2009 – (has to be due to the Korea’s June election
- The Aussies are the world leaders in social media engagement in terms of highest global average for time spent online. Average time is 7 hours per month.
- Linkedin has grown expotentially in Australia whith uniques increasing 99% from July 2009 to May 2010.
All indicators that APAC is the growth market for 2010 and beyond.